Great War miniature medal set to R.M.L.I.


Miniature medal group attributed to Edward Evans, R.M.L.I.Royal Marine Light Infantry

1 in stock


Royal Marine Light Infantry and Royal Fleet Reserve miniature medal group attributed to Edward Evans, R.M.L.I.

Medals, mounted as worn – 1914 Star and Bar, British War Medal, Victory Medal, Defence Medal, Imperial Service Medal, Belgian National Federation Combatants Veterans Cross, Belgian Albert Veterans Cross, Belgian Medal for Victims of War 1914-18. 

Edward Evans was born in Fulham, London, on 28 January 1890, and enlisted into the Royal Marine Light Infantry on 31 January 1908. After training he was posted to ‘B’ Company Chatham Division on 17 December 1914. He was embarked aboard H.M.S. Formidable, August 1909 to May 1912; H.M.S. Sutlej, June to August 1912; and H.M.S. King Edward VII, October 1912 to 27 March 1914. Whilst serving in King Edward VII, this ship was part of the international naval force, commanded by Vice-Admiral Cecil Burney, R.N., which was sent to the Balkans in November 1912, where it took part in the blockade of Montenegro. On 14 May 1913, the city of Scutari, which had been under siege from Montenegrin and Serbian forces, was surrendered to the Great Powers. On 15 May Evans was amongst those landed from King Edward VII to take possession of the city as part of the International Force of about 1000 naval personnel from Britain, Austro-Hungary, Italy, France and Germany. These naval forces were replaced the following month by an international land force.

He was mobilised on the outbreak of war and served with the Royal Marine Brigade at Ostend, 26 August to 1 September 1914; at Dunkirk, 20 September to 2 October 1914; and in the Defence of Antwerp, 3 to 9 October 1914. He afterwards served in Gallipoli to the end of 1915 and was wounded there on 13 August by a rifle bullet in the right upper arm. He was demobilised and discharged on 27 May 1919. 

Edward was then posted to the Deptford shore base (H.M.S. President) where he remained until discharged from the
service on the 27th May 1919.