Defence of Chitral 4th Kashmir Rifles India Medal 1896 Named to 324 Lance Naick Binn. 4th Kashmir Rifles.
Siege of Chitral
The Chitral Fort was 80 yards square and built of mud, stone and timber. The walls were 25 feet high and eight feet thick. There was a short covered way to the river, the only water source. The fort held 543 people of whom 343 were combatants including five British officers. The units were the 14th Sikhs and a larger detachment of Kashmiri Infantry. Artillery support was 2 RML 7 pounder Mountain Gun without sights and 80 rounds of ammunition. There were only 300 cartridges per man and enough food for a month. There were trees and buildings near the walls and nearby hills from which sniping was possible with modern rifles. Captain Charles Townshend, later of Mesopotamia fame (Chitral Charlie), commanded the fort.
Naming is officially engraved in running script.
Please contact us for overseas shipping. Payment by Bank Transfer or Cheque – Bank Transfer – Lloyds account – JPJ Godwin Sort Code 30-94-41. Acct No. 4846908